Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The pope redux

I must say I have had trouble understanding the priest/child rape stuff. I just don't get how they let it go on; these are not stupid people, and, by and large, notable only for their sloth and ineffectiveness. I keep forgetting how easy it is for folks to suspend disbelief to the point of what would be considered severe hallucinatory states if they occurred in hospitals and not churches.

What we have here is the opposite of the medicalization of emotional life. The pathologizing of all sorts of problems -- drinking, sleep, nervousness, shyness, fatigue, and so on -- is well known.

But church-wise, we treat truly whacko utterances, outfits, actions and even conversations as if they were perfectly reasonable and sensible. Hence the priest sex-abuse behavior, which was treated, within the church, as perfectly reasonable and sensible. And why would it not be??? These are, after all, the folks who tell us what they think their invisible friends say to them -- in languages they don't understand -- while wearing funny costumes and singing thousand year old songs while hidden from view. Yipes. Of course child rape is OK. It is the most sensible thing they do in the course of long careers devoted to promoting utter nonsense.

One of the recurring themes of the blog: I live surrounded by crazy people, who hallucinate all sorts of stuff, and offer it for public trust. My friends tend to be folks who ignore that part of 21st Century America. I dislike True Believers, almost as much as Boosters, who are beyond saving.

Contrary posts welcome. I would like to hear from boosters, particularly, since I find boosterism so revulsive.

Thanks you for your attention to this matter. I also post pics of cats.

2 comments:

  1. Rather makes the "logic" of 'Don't ask Don't tell' a little bankrupt, eh? oh wait...IT IS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just learned that the Vatican has files on all MPBN (Maine Public Broadcasting Network). Told by a former young to be priest who is now working with lawyers to lead them to evidence that is very well hidden. It was pretty shocking!

    ReplyDelete